How to Make Frothy & Spiced Instant Coffee
It's not spicy coffee. It's spiced coffee. In this post, you will learn how and why you should spice up your morning cup of coffee.
What are Spices?
In the culinary world, spices are seeds, fruits, roots, bark, or any other plant substance used mainly for flavoring or seasoning food. Spices are different from herbs: the leaves, flowers, or stems of plants that act more like a garnish. You may already be familiar with some of the most popular spices used in cook. For example, cinnamon, paprika, chili, oregano, and cumin. In this recipe, we will be using cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla extract to spice up our coffee.
Why Add Spices to Coffee?
If you are already familiar with spices, you may be wondering why you want to add them to coffee. After all, spices typically belong in food, not beverages. Well, it turns out that spices actually compliment coffee really well. It's not just in terms of flavor. Research has shown that adding healthy spices to coffee can double the antioxidant and health benefits of the drink.
What Spices Should You Add to Coffee?
Some spices we recommend adding to your coffee are cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and vanilla extract. Cinnamon is not only a great source of antioxidants, but it's also packed with calcium, manganese, and iron. These minerals are essential to boosting your immune system, protecting your heart, and lowering the risk of cancer. Spices like nutmeg and ginger are helpful for their anti-inflammatory properties. Vanilla extract, classified as a superfood, helps boost mental performance, mood, and overall brain health.
Frothy & Spiced Instant Coffee Recipe
- 2 tbsp of Waka instant coffee
- 1 & 1/2 cup of hot water
- 3 tbsp of powdered coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/4 cup of aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas, preferably unsalted)
- 1 tbsp of oat milk creamer (optional)
- In a cup, mix Waka instant coffee with 1 & 1/4 cup of hot water.
- Stir together the powdered coconut sugar, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger in a small bowl. Little crumbles are ok.
- Pour 1/4 cup of aquafaba into a medium bowl. Using a hand mixer, whisk on high until super frothy, approximately 1 full minute.
- With the mixer still on, gradually add spoonfuls of the spiced powder mixture from step 2.
- Keep whisking until you have a super frothy and foamy texture.
- (Optional) Add oat milk creamer until incorporated.
- Fill two cups, both 2/3rds of the way, with ice.
- Pour the instant coffee evenly into both cups.
- Add the frothy and foamy mixture on top.