Make bubble tea like a barista in the comfort of your own home. It’s simple, easy, and delicious.
People use the terms “boba” and “bubbles” interchangeably. They both mean the same thing, but it’s an ongoing dispute between the East Coast and West Coast about who says the right term. This sweet drink takes tea to the next level with the chewy texture of tapioca pearls! It’s an added sweetness and depth to a regular cup of tea, which makes the entire experience of boba so much fun and exciting.
You should always make sure to give yourself a little treat here and there, and one of them is sweet drinks like bubble tea. However, it can get costly as some shops price their beverages to almost $6 a cup.
Well, now you can make bubble tea right at home and have it taste the same as a barista would have made it. Most milk teas are black tea based. They should be very dark and concentrated because you will dilute the tea with milk. Since you’re the barista in charge, you can decide which milk to use!
What you’ll need for 4 cups:
- 6-8 teaspoons of Waka Coffee Black Tea Powder
- 2-3 cups of your choice of milk (we used soy milk)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 pack of tapioca pearls (can be found in any Asian supermarket or Amazon)
- Boba straws
How to make it:
- Boil a pot of water. Bring to a rapid boil and add a cup of tapioca pearls and turn off the heat. The tapioca pearls should take about 15 minutes to soften up, or use the time on the packaging). Drain the water and let it cool.
- In a separate large pot, simmer the milk and add the black tea powder. Constantly mix to prevent the milk from burning and make sure the tea dissolves smoothly. Add sugar and turn off the heat.
- Let it stand until cooled down.
To serve it (one serving):
- Add 3-4 scoops of boba into a tall cup (up to your preference)
- Fill with ice
- Carefully pour the milk tea, barely to the brim