The 5 Best Viral Coffee and Tea Trends Explained
These days, viral trends change very quickly so we made sure to keep you informed about all the coffee and tea trends you need to know.
1. What Is Whipped/Dalgona Coffee?
This TikTok coffee trend became popular during the COVID 19 quarantine but is still hanging on in a lot of circles. This viral drink originated in Korea. It is known as both whipped coffee and Dalgona coffee. The drink is easy to make using four simple ingredients. To give it a try, you need instant coffee, sugar, water, and milk.
The flavor and texture of Dalgona coffee are pleasantly sweet and creamy. It has been compared by many to the flavor of coffee ice cream or a Frappuccino. The recipe's ratios can be changed, or you can select a flavored milk base to control the amount of sweetness and caffeine.
If you prepare more whipped coffee than you can consume in one sitting, you can simply store the remaining whipped mixture without milk in the refrigerator for about two to three days. Before it can be used again, the mixture can somewhat deflate and require extra whipping. To learn more about the history of Dalgona coffee and how to make it, click here.
2. Salt in Your Coffee?
Have you ever considered adding salt to your instant coffee? Without the use of other ingredients, bitterness in coffee can be reduced by adding salt. Naturally, salt maintains nice fragrances and brings out the sweetness of the coffee. Even in specialty coffee, adding salt is a viable option to milk and sugar for those who are sensitive to harshness.
Alton Brown, a food science expert, suggested salting coffee in his cooking program Good Eats. To balance the harshness of the coffee, he advised adding half a teaspoon of salt for every cup of water and two teaspoons of instant coffee. You can use this trick no matter what blend you pick but choose a full-flavored instant coffee for the best effects.
3. Lemon in Your Coffee?
People have used lemon in their instant tea for years, but lemon in their coffee might be one you've not heard about. It appears this trend caught fire and went TikTok coffee viral. It was thought that a few drops of lemon in your morning instant coffee might assist in losing weight. Currently, no scientific data suggests this is true, but if you try it and like the taste, there is no reason not to continue. Both lemons and coffee are thought to have their own health benefits, so it's possible you will benefit either way.
4. The Beauty of Loaded Tea
Loaded teas are works of art, just begging for your attention. TikTok tea fanatics have gone crazy over these teas, and it's easy to see why. You can try a loaded tea recipe out for yourself if you've yet to try this viral drink.
Dragon Berry Fusion Loaded Tea Recipe
- 1/2 tsp of 4C Energy Rush (citrus)
- 1/2 tsp of 4C Energy Rush (orange)
- 1/4 tsp of Waka green tea powder (raspberry)
- 1/8 tsp of Nutricost guarana powder
- 1/2 tsp of Gram Zero passionfruit drink mix
- 1/2 tsp of Gram Zero dragon fruit drink mix
- 2 oz of cold Fruit of the Earth aloe vera juice
- Dissolve 4C orange, 4C citrus, Waka instant tea, guarana powder, and passionfruit drink mix in 6 oz of hot water.
- Pour into the bottom of a 32 oz cup.
- Pack cup with ice.
- Coat top of ice with aloe vera juice.
- Mix dragon fruit drink mix with 8 oz of cold water.
- Add dragon fruit mixture into the cup with other ingredients.
Instant tea and powdered drink mix are the main ingredients in loaded teas. Loaded tea is said to have a number of health advantages, including improved mental clarity, increased metabolism, and hunger suppression. Loaded teas are also very low in calories and contain no sugar, making them a popular beverage for people trying to reduce weight.
5. Bubble Milk Tea
This popular beverage's source of inspiration is obvious. Tapioca pearls are frequently used in traditional summer Taiwanese delicacies like shaved ice. Taiwanese stores have traditionally offered cold tea with milk and sugar.
If you're curious to try it, it's easy to make at home. Try this recipe to see what you think!
Boba Milk Tea with Whipped Coffee Recipe
Brown Sugar Coffee Boba
- 1/2 pack of tapioca pearls
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- 1 tsp of Waka instant coffee
- 2 tbsp of Waka instant coffee
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of hot water
Cooking the Boba
- Pour boba pearls into a pot with boiling water.
- Let it cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Or until all cooked and floating on top of the water.
- Remove cooked boba and soak in cold water.
Making the Syrup
- In a small saucepan over low heat, add sugar and boba. Mix until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add instant coffee and stir until dissolved.
- Transfer syrupy boba into a bowl.
Making the Milk Tea
- Mix Waka instant tea with cold water.
- Add your milk of choice.
Making the Whipped Coffee
- In a medium bowl, combine Waka instant coffee, sugar, and hot water.
- Using a hand mixer or a whisk, vigorously whisk until the mixture turns silky smooth and frothy.
Putting the Drink Together
- Add ice and boba syrup to a large cup.
- Pour milk tea over ice and stir.
- Slowly pour whipped coffee over the top.
Now that you know what's trending in coffee and tea, which one are you going to try first? Make sure that you start with a great instant coffee or instant tea. That alone can make all the difference in whatever recipe you try.