Matcha Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
With this easy to follow matcha cake, you’ll have a delicious light and fluffy cake perfect for any occasion! Matcha lovers, this one’s for you.
What is matcha?
Matcha is a powdered tea, which is derived from green tea leaves and originated in the East Asian culture. The powder is formed through fine processing and grounding of the leaves.
It also has been highly popularized in the health community due to its high levels of EGCG, a catechin that is believed by some to have cancer-fighting effects. Matcha powder and green tea leaves are both packed with antioxidants and have some claimed health benefits as well, ranging from fighting type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, and cancer to being a great tool for weight loss.
Its smooth tasting notes of nuttiness and sweetness are sure to win you over any day!
Matcha Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 ½ tablespoons matcha
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pinch of salt
For the frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F, grease and line 2 8in pans with parchment paper
2. Beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy
3. Separate egg whites and yolks, add the yolks into the butter/sugar mixture and beat until combined
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cornstarch, matcha, and salt
5. Slowly combine the dry ingredients into the butter and sugar mixture
6. Add in your water after fully combining wet and dry ingredients
7. In a separate bowl with a stand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form
8. Gently incorporate half the egg whites into the cake batter
9. Slowly fold in the other half of the egg whites, batter should be a thick, yet spreadable consistency
10. Separate the batter into your 2 cake pans, bake for 16-18 minutes
11. Once cooked through, let cool while you make the frosting
1. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and salt until combined
2. Gradually add in your heavy cream, and beat until peaks start to form
1. Spread frosting between layers and on top. Garnish with stiffed matcha powder and enjoy!