Skip the coffeeshop and make your own matcha latte at home with this refreshing and easy-to-make recipe.
Matcha is made from quality tea leaves called Camellia Sinensis that are ground into a fine powder. The powder itself is a vibrant green color with a similar texture to powdered sugar. There are various claimed benefits to Matcha, including:
- Helps fight against liver disease
- Lowers cholesterol
- Detoxifies our body
- Stabilizes metabolism
Matcha dates back centuries in China and Japan, but it has made its way into people’s hearts (and stomachs) all over the world. It has an earthy and velvety flavor that makes it easy to incorporate into different recipes such as ice cream, baked goods, and lattes.
What is Culinary Grade Matcha?
Culinary grade matcha is a more affordable alternative that dissolves instantly with water. It doesn’t require any special tools, methods, or skill. It is great for making matcha lattes or as an addition in smoothies and baked goods. Mixes well with milk, milk substitutes or sugar.
How to Make Instant Matcha Latte
Lattes come in all types of flavors: pumpkin spice, vanilla, hazelnut... But it’s time to make room for matcha! Instant matcha lattes are super easy to make and can be enjoyed any time of the day! It only takes minutes to make to get you going in the morning, or as an evening refreshment.
- 2 tsp instant matcha powder
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Sugar/simple syrup/sweetener of your choice
- ¾ cup milk or milk alternative (oat milk is great for this recipe!)
To make the matcha:
- Put 2 teaspoons of instant matcha into a bowl.
- Gradually add in 2 tablespoons of hot water.
- Whisk the instant matcha and water until powder is thoroughly dissolved. Add in more water if needed to reach desired consistency. You can also whisk until the matcha is frothy.
To make the simple syrup:
- Add 1 part white sugar with 1 part water into a pot on medium heat
- Stir until sugar has dissolved and set aside to cool.
- Add in simple syrup (as much or as little as you desire) to cup of ice.
- Add in ¾ cup of milk or desired milk alternative.
- Add in matcha and stir.
Homemade Instant Matcha Latte Recipe Video