A cup of coffee and a bowl of granola are two common breakfast items, so why not combine the two?
Granola usually consists of a mixture of oats, fruits, nuts, and seeds and has become an immensely popular breakfast food option.
Granola was first invented by Dr. James Caleb Jackson in 1863. His concoction was made from graham flour baked into cakes, and due its long bake time, it was virtually inedible. The cakes had to be soaked in milk or water overnight for them to be soft enough to chew, so the food did not gain much popularity.
Granola resurfaced once more in the 1960s, and was made with rolled oats, wheat germ, and sesame seeds. It gained more popularity in the 1970s when the first mass market granola company was established. This was Heartland Natural Cereal, which still exists today.
Although granola is a popular item in many stores, it is something that can easily be homemade, for a fraction of the price.
Coconut Instant Coffee Granola
Ingredients (6 servings):
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup mixed nuts and seeds (walnuts, pecans, chia seeds)
- ⅓ cup coconut oil
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup nut butter
- ¼ cup coconut shavings
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons Waka Coffee
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl. Mix together until everything is fully combined.
- Transfer the granola mixture into a shallow tray. Use a spatula or a flat surface to press the granola down so it is tightly packed.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then stir the dish and bake for another 10-13 minutes.
- Let cool for 1 hour.