Vanilla Pound Cake With Whipped Coffee Icing Recipe
Whipped instant coffee has become the go-to coffee drink while social distancing. Now, it's time to incorporate this delicious creation into baking as well.
According to Google Trends, “Dalgona Coffee” (one of the current names for whipped coffee) was recently named the most searched type of coffee worldwide as searches surged by 1,800% in mid-March and grew a further 1,700% in mid-April. Recipes of whipped coffee were shared on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram by millions of food bloggers and amateur cooks alike.
What is Dalgona coffee? It's a whipped instant coffee beverage made with equal proportions of instant coffee, sugar and water. Its name came from the drink's resemblance to the look of the South Korean old school toffee candy, dalgona (US readers - think of honeycomb).
The traditional vanilla pound cake is usually served with soft crumb glaze or with whipped cream on top. We upgraded our recipe to combine the deliciousness of the whipped instant coffee with the classic pound cake.
Vanilla Pound Cake With Whipped Instant Coffee Icing Recipe
Vanilla pound cake:
We recommend watching the short video recipe below before starting.
- 2 sticks of butter
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup icing sugar (same as powdered sugar/confectioners sugar)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, whip 4 egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Add the beaten egg whites and vanilla extract to the main batter.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add flour to the main batter, beating just until combined (do not over mix). Add baking powder and salt and mix again.
- Pour the batter in the bread loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour. Use a toothpick to check the doneness of your cake. If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
- Take the cake out of the oven and set aside for 15 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack, and turn upright to cool completely.
Whipped coffee icing
- 1/4 cup Waka instant coffee granules
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- Pour instant coffee, sugar and hot water in a bowl. Mix well.
- With a hand blender, whip mixture until it gets light and fluffy. It will take around 3 to 5 mins.
- Top your cake with the whipped instant coffee and serve.