The fall is coming, which means it's pumpkin spice latte time! Make your own delicious warm pumpkin spice latte at the comfort of your home, easily.
Yes, it's that time of the year again. Grocery stores start lining up their shelves with pumpkin spice-flavored products, your friends and family brag about their secret recipe, and you go over countless Instagram photos of pumpkins and coffee. #pumpkinspicelatte rules!
Nothing can beat the smell of the well known pumpkin spice, which brings up old childhood memories from previous holidays.
What is pumpkin spice?
While there are different pumpkin spice combinations out there, the most common one includes: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice.
Oh yea, you are right. There is no actual pumpkin in pumpkin spice. Pumpkin spice is simply a combination of different spices that are traditionally added into the pumpkin pie. This is where it gets its name from.
Does pumpkin latte include pumpkin?
Great question. Well, it depends. If you get your coffee from a large coffee chain, most likely it will not. They will usually use a pumpkin flavored syrup and pumpkin spice in your latte. Other speciality cafés will use the pumpkin spice and combine it with a pumpkin purée, which is in fact made from mashed pumpkins. Our recipe includes a pumpkin purée as well.
The history of pumpkin spice
Pumpkin spice has been around long before the fancy pumpkin lattes showed up on our social media feeds. In fact, in 2018 some researchers have discovered that humans have been using nutmeg (an ingredient in the pumpkin spice) as food for thousands of years. On Pulau Ay, one of the Banda Islands in Indonesia, archaeologists found ancient nutmeg residue on ceramic pottery shards that they estimate to be 3,500 years old.
The pumpkin spice everything craze
As a coffee connoisseur, you are probably familiar with the pumpkin spice latte and pumpkin spice coffee creamers, but the pumpkin spice market is so much more than that.
There are pumpkin donuts, bagels, muffins and even hamburgers and chips. Serve it with a pumpkin spice beer or liqueurs. Mix it up with salty pumpkin snacks, almonds or cheese. And let's not forget our best friends. Yes, there are even pumpkin spice dog treats and toothpastes out there in the market.
Join the craze and try this easy-to-make delicious homemade pumpkin spice latte.
Pumpkin Spice Latte at Home With Instant Coffee
- 2 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tsp Waka Coffee + 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup cold heavy cream
1. Place the pumpkin purée, pumpkin pie spice, and black pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until it’s hot for about 2 minutes.
2. Add the brown sugar and stir until the mixture looks like a thick syrup.
3. Whisk in the milk and vanilla, stirring often and watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t boil over.
4. With a hand blender, mix until frothy and well blended.
5. Make the instant coffee and divide into 2 mugs (mix 2 tsp of instant coffee with 1 cup of hot water).
6. Add the pumpkin mixture in each mug on top of the coffee.
7. Top with the whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon and the pumpkin spice.
Voila! Enjoy your delicious homemade instant coffee pumpkin spice latte.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Video Recipe: