Instant Coffee Meringues Dipped in White Chocolate and Pistachios
Do you love coffee flavored desserts? Check out this easy to make and delicious instant coffee meringues recipe.
What are meringues?
Meringues are a mixture of beaten egg whites and sugar, creating a light, airy and sweet candy or dessert topping.
What is white chocolate?
It is made of sugar, cocoa butter, milk solids and vanilla. Technically, white chocolate is not a chocolate as it does not contain cocoa solids (the non-fat component of cocoa).
What is instant coffee?
Instant coffee is a dissolvable coffee drink. It is made from brewed coffee that was converted into powdered coffee by extracting the liquid of the coffee bean. Contrary to some myths, instant coffee is made from real coffee beans.
According to the Oxford Companion to American Food and Drink, the first instant coffee was invented by John Dring in England in 1771 and patented by the British Government as "coffee compound."
Instant Coffee Meringues Dipped in White Chocolate and Pistachios Recipe
- 3 egg whites
- Sea salt
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Waka Quality Instant Coffee
- 1 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 210°F / 100°C
- At the same time, line parchment paper on a large baking tray
- Pour coffee and water in a small bowl. Stir well until coffee fully dissolves
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until they form soft peaks
- To the egg whites bowl, add salt and gradually pour in the sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Mix well after each addition. Continue mixing until sugar is completely dissolved
- Add the brewed instant coffee to the meringue mixture and gently fold until combined
- Transfer the meringue mixture to a piping bag fitted with a 1cm fluted nozzle. Pipe 2.5cm meringues onto the lined tray
- Bake for 2 hours or until crisp and dry
- In a saucepan, melt 1 bar of white chocolate
- Spread pistachios evenly in a shallow bowl
- Dip meringues’ base, one by one, in the melted chocolate and then in the pistachios bowl
- Set aside dipped meringues for 15 minutes
- Place on a large platter and serve