How to Make Yellow Coffee: A Superfood Latte
Take your spiced coffee to the next level with this yellow superfood latte recipe.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is a common spice that comes from the root of the Curcuma longa, a tall plant that grows in Asia and Central America. It is a major ingredient in curry powder and is sometimes also referred to as Indian saffron or the golden spice. The bright yellow color has also inspired many cultures to use it as a dye.
The active chemical in turmeric that makes it so vibrant and yellow is curcumin. But beyond its use as a dye, curcumin has many powerful biological properties. For example, according to this article, curcumin has the potential to relieve inflammatory conditions, such as stomach ailments, arthritis, and pancreatitis.
For over 5,000 years, turmeric has been recommended for a variety of health conditions, especially in Ayurvedic medicine, a traditional Indian system of treatment. Positive benefits of consuming turmeric include relieving pain, improving liver function, reducing the risk of cancer, and helping with digestion.
Yellow Superfood Latte Recipe
- 1 tbsp of Waka instant coffee
- 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp of ginger powder
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 3/4 cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp of stevia
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Add hot water, Waka instant coffee, turmeric, ginger, ground black pepper and stevia to a mug and whisk together.
- Heat almond milk to a simmer in a pot, OR for 90 seconds in the microwave.
- (Optional) Froth your milk with an electric frother for the full latte effect.
- Slowly whisk together the almond milk and spiced coffee mixture.
- Top with fresh ground black pepper.