Christmas is the best time to explore traditional and seasonal coffee drinks. Check out this delicious and rich eggnog coffee beverage to enjoy over the Holidays.
What is eggnog?
Eggnog is a very rich, dairy-based beverage made with whipped eggs, milk, cream, sugar, and spices like nutmeg and cinnamon. The drink is traditionally consumed over the Christmas season, from late October until the mid January. Eggnog is sold ready to drink at grocery stores and even served at some bars and restaurants with the addition of alcohol, such as brandy, whiskey or wine.
The history of the eggnog
While the exact origin is debatable, according to a Time Magazine article, most historians agree that eggnog was originated from the early medieval Britain “posset” drink. "Posset" is a hot, milky, ale-like drink that was thought to be a cold and flu remedy. Similar to the Polish gogel mogel (from Yiddish) beverage.
Eggnog is the American version of "posset" that was brought to the American colonies from Britain sometime in the 1700s. It became tied to the holidays as American farmers tried to utilize the many chicken eggs they had into an alcoholic drink during that time. Honestly, what is more a American way to celebrate the holidays than raw chicken eggs and cheap rum?... The beverage was so rooted in American culture that historians even found alcoholic eggnog recipes made by George Washington!
Is it safe to drink raw eggs?
In short - no. Drinking raw eggs can put you in higher risk of being exposed to salmonella bacteria and developing a food poisoning. However, you can avoid eggnog-induced salmonella positioning by ensuring that your drink is prepared with pasteurized eggs only. You probably would like to avoid drinking eggnog if you are pregnant or have a vulnerable immune system.
Homemade Delicious Coffee Eggnog Latte Recipe
For the Eggnog:
- 1½ cups unsweetened almond milk
- 4 pasteurized egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tsp Waka instant coffee
- 14 oz hot water
For the Eggnog Latte:
- 2 cups of brewed Waka Instant Coffee (4 tsp Waka Instant Coffee + 14 oz hot water)
- ground nutmeg (for garnish only)
1. Whisk yolks and sugar until lighter in color and creamy.
2. In a separate mug, combine Waka instant coffee granules with hot water. Stir until all granules are dissolved and set aside.
3. Pour milk into whisked yolks and mix.
4. Add nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla into the egg mixture and stir.
5. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
6. Pour coffee into 2 mugs. Top with eggnog and sprinkle nutmeg. Enjoy!
Coffee Eggnog Video Recipe: