Marocchino coffee is typically served in a small, clear glass cup with one strong shot of espresso, some cacao powder, and frothy milk. Doesn’t it sound delectable already? In some places, people add their own twist to the coffee by incorporating hot cocoa and sometimes even Nutella!
The Marrochino is a very rich, decadent, and very delicious kind of coffee that will have your tastebuds tingling with delight and warmth.
The History of Marocchino Coffee
So, who invented this insanely delicious drink? The Italians did! More specifically, this coffee drink was invented in the city of Alessandria, Italy. Some sources indicate that the Marrochino was created precisely in Bar Carpano, which was a famous bar in Italy that served delicious, dark coffee.
The Origin of the Marocchino's Name
Where did the unique name of Marrochino even come from? The name is actually Italian for "Morocco." Locals called it after the country as the Moroccan leather and the Marocchino coffee had very similar colors. Both the coffee and the leather that came from Morocco had light brown colors. This specific type of Moroccan leather was the leather Italians used in the 1500s to bind books.
Who Invented the Marocchino?
As mentioned above, the Italians invented this insanely rich drink, but specifically those at the Bar Carpano. Right across the Italian bar, there was a hat-making factory called Borsalino. The factory used the Moroccan leather for one of its products, which became noticeable to workers at the Bar Carpano. The workers saw the striking similarities between the coffee and the color of the leather and thus decided to name the coffee after the leather’s name.
How to Make Marocchino Coffee With Instant Coffee at Home
You don’t really have to travel halfway across the globe to Italy to get a taste of this mouth-watering coffee beverage! You can make it right at the comfort of your home, instantly.
- Dust a slight layer of cacao powder on the bottom of your glass
- Line the glass on the sides with Nutella (optional)
- In a separate mug, make your coffee by combining instant coffee and sugar in and mix with a few drops of water until you get a thick paste
- Boil the coffee paste with the 1 cup of water in a small pot
- Add the homemade coffee in the glass
- Froth up some milk with a frother or pour some hot milk into a mason jar with a cap and shake vigorously until foam forms and pour into the glass
- Top the drink off with a generous sprinkle of cacao powder and enjoy!