Recipe: Natural Protein Smoothie With Instant Coffee
Alarm, workout, coffee, smoothie. Is this your daily routine? If yes (or planning to be), it's time to shortcut your morning by combining your smoothie and instant coffee.
If coffee is your daily ritual for boosting energy levels in the morning, but you sometime get bored from plain coffee, this shake is just what you need. A coffee infused smoothie has all the jam-packed essentials that are in your typical smoothie, combined with a delicious coffee.
It sounds like a very simple beverage to make, but a smoothie with coffee might be more complex. When adding coffee to your favorite fruit smoothie or protein shake, you have to think about the coffee-to-fruit ratio. You want an equal balance for both parts of the drink to ensure that you get the best taste on top of the functional benefit.
Pouring too much coffee will overpower the taste of the other ingredients and you will only taste the coffee. Putting too little coffee and you might not taste it at all.
The caffeine in the coffee combined with the natural sugars of the fruit, as well as the optional addition of protein powder, will help you wake up with more energy and a good amount or nutrients and antioxidants.
Coffee and instant coffee are known for having an ample amount of antioxidants, minerals, and nutrients. By adding the coffee to your smoothie (which already contains vitamins and minerals that you need every day), you will be getting an even larger dose plus saving time of making each drink individually.
- 1 packet of Waka Instant Coffee (Indian, Colombian, or decaf if you just want the taste)
- Half a banana (trick, froze the second half for your next shake)
- 1/2 a cup of strawberries, raspberries and blueberries mix (frozen mix is great as well)
- Milk of choice. Any unsweetened milk, but if you want to keep it vegan then use almond or oat milk. It's your choice if you want to have more of the milk or more of the water-based coffee
- 1 and half tsp of nut butter. Either peanut butter, cashew butter or almond butter
- Pre-cut fruits and into small slices/pieces
- Brew the instant coffee by pouring the coffee granules from the packet into a an average size mug, then add a little bit of hot water and stir. Top it with cold or room temperature water and stir again
- Place fruits and yor desired amount of coffee and milk in a blender and blend until smooth and somewhat thick. If it's too thick pour more of the coffee or milk
- Pour into a tumbler or bottle and take it with you. Enjoy!
Why is this smoothie so healthy?
Bananas: High in potassium, great source of carbs, high in vitamin C, vitamin B6, and vitamin A.
Nut butter: Good source of protein (about 25g of protein per 1/2 cup), contains health fats.
Berries: Include antioxidants, such as anthocyanins, ellagic acid, and resveratrol, high in fiber, high in vitamin C (150 grams of vitamin C per cup of strawberries).
Coffee: Improve energy levels, includes vitamins and nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, vitamin B3, B2.
Try our quality instant coffee for an easy morning. Get it here.