Learn how to make this crumbly, crunchy, caffeinated seasonal pumpkin streusel.
Streusel, not strudel
A strudel is a traditional pastry of Viennese origin. It is made from thin pastry sheets wrapped around a fruit filling like apple, cherry or apricot. Streusel, on the other hand, is a crumbly sweet topping of sugar, flour, and butter originated in Germany (streusel means something "strewn or scattered" in German). It is usually served atop pies and cakes.
Make pumpkin cinnamon streusel coffee cake
For the streusel:
- 1/2 cup organic white flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the coffee cake:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick of salted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp Waka Instant Coffee + ½ cup hot water
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp all spices
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp rice milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Optional garnish: Chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 356 degrees. Prepare a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper in the bottom. Grease all sides.
2. To prepare the streusel: add flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, 1/2 stick unsalted butter and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts to a medium sized bowl. Mix everything with a fork until all ingredients are incorporated. Set aside.
3. To make the cake batter: add flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, all spices and salt in a medium sized bowl and mix all the ingredients. Set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients: butter, pumpkin puree, greek yogurt and eggs. Mix with an electric mixer.
5. Add dry ingredients from step 3 to the batter from step 4 and mix until it's smooth.
6. Prepare the instant coffee by mixing 1 tsp Waka instant coffee +1/2 cup of hot water.
7. Pour coffee into the combined cake batter. Mix well.
8. Spread half of the cake batter on the bottom of the cake pan.
9. Top bottom batter layer with about half of the streusel mixture.
10. Spread remaining cake batter over streusel. Top with the 2nd half of streusel mixture.
11. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 356°F (180°C) until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few crumbs.
12. Remove cake from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 5 minutes.
13. To make the glaze: combine powdered sugar, vanilla extract and rice milk in a small bowl. Whisk until smooth. Add a little more milk or sugar, if needed.
14. Drizzle the glaze over the coffee cake. Garnish with chopped walnuts.
Watch the video recipe