Mint Julep Cocktail Using Instant Tea
If you are 21 or older, it's time to get your Kentucky Derby gear and indulge yourself with this bourbon instant tea cocktail recipe.
A mint julep is an alcoholic drink that is usually made out of bourbon, fresh mint, ice, sugar, and water. The name, Julep, is derived from the Persian word Golâb, meaning rosewater.
The drink was originated in The Southern United States in the 18th century, and is known as the official drink of the Kentucky Derby, the first of three major horse riding events in the country.
Mint Juleps have become staples at every derby tournament where roughly 120,000 Mint Juleps are sold every year at the event. If you are fortunate enough to find yourself attending the Kentucky Derby this year (every year around May), you must let yourself indulge with this iconic drink!
WHY ADD TEA?
The thought of adding tea to bourbon seems a little absurd, but frankly the combination works well together. The flavors of the tea balance off the flavors of the bourbon, making a strong drink with both flavors being intensified. Tea and mint already go well together, so adding something that works well with the mint doesn’t seem too far off. There are various types of mint-based teas (spearmint, peppermint, menthol, etc.), each of which offers a different taste to the tea.
HOW TO MAKE A MINT JULEP USING BLACK INSTANT TEA
- Crushed or shaved ice
- ⅛ of a teaspoon of Waka Instant Tea
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves or 2 teaspoons muddled mint
- 2 - 2 ½ oz bourbon
- Sugar (optional)
- Additional fresh mint leaves or muddled mint for garnish
- Make a cup of Waka Instant Tea
- Add mint, stir, and let mint and tea steep for 2 minutes
- To a shaker, add the bourbon with the tea and mint mixture
- Shake until well combined
- Add ice to a collins glass, or double old-fashioned glass. Pour the mixture over ice
- Add mint for garnish and enjoy!
try our quality instant tea for this recipe. Get it here.