How to Make Dalgona Coffee With Dalgona Candy Crisps
If 2020 was the year of Dalgona coffee, in 2021 the actual Dalgona candy is getting its moment thanks to a new Netflix show. Why not to combine them both into a one beautiful drink?
What is Dalgona Candy?
Dalgona Candy (달고나) or Ppopgi (뽑기) is an old school sweet and hard honeycomb toffee-like texture candy, which is sold by street vendors in Korea. Its name comes from the Korean word “dalguna (달구나)” which means “it’s sweet.” Its other name is Ppopgi (뽑기), which means "to pick" or "select," referring to the game and reward aspect offered by the vendors to the kids when they get it.
The candy became viral on social media after being featured on Squid Game, airing on Netflix. The South Korean fictional drama follows several contestants, who are deeply in debt and need to play children's games in order to win cash. In the show the players are seen trying to carve out shapes from the Dalgona candy without breaking it or risk their lives if they lose. Stressful!
What is Dalgona Coffee?
Dalgona Coffee (달고나커피) is a whipped iced coffee drink made from equal parts of instant coffee granules, sugar and water. It became popular during the 2020 COVID-19 quarantine, when most coffee shops were closed and people shared their coffee creations over social media.
You guessed it right. The drink's name is derived from the Korean sugary candy Dalgona. The color and consistency of the whipped instant coffee looks similar to the traditional candy and this is how it got its name.
Dalgona Coffee with Dalgona Candy Crisps Recipe
Make the Dalgona Candy
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- A pinch of baking soda
- Stainless steel ladle
- Silicone baking mat/parchment paper
- Pour sugar into ladle and carefully place above a medium heat flame.
- Stir with the chopsticks, until the sugar dissolves and turns light brown.
- Stir in the baking soda and whisk vigorously for another 5 seconds.
- Remove the ladle from the heat.
- Pour the mixture onto the the silicone mat or parchment paper, scraping down with a rubber spatula. With the rubber spatula, level the mixture to create a thin layer.
- Let it cool and make the Dalgona coffee.
Make the Dalgona Coffee
- 1 tbsp Waka Quality Instant Coffee
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup milk
- Hand frother
- Combine instant coffee, sugar and water in a small mixing bowl.
- Using a hand frother, beat the mixture for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the color turns golden brown and the mixture takes on a thick consistency.
- Pour ice and milk into a glass.
- Slowly pour the mixture on top of the milk.
- With your hands, break the Dalgona candy into little pieces and place on top of the coffee drink.