Make this delicious homemade berry hibiscus refresher with Waka instant black tea, for the perfect zesty drink to break up the bleak winter days.
What is a refresher?
Relatively new drinks in the beverage scene, refreshers were introduced by Starbucks in 2012 as fruity, herby, and fresh doses of light caffeine and hydration.
This homemade version contains fresh fruit, lemon juice, mint, ginger, and instant black tea for maximal flavor and effect. The vibrant strawberries, blueberries, and tangy mint contribute to a rich flavor, while the ginger, lemon juice, and black tea provide essential health benefits, added flavor, and an extra pick-me-up.
Lemon juice provides ample amounts of vitamin D and, according to one study, also has antibacterial effects which can prevent certain bacteria based illnesses such as salmonella, candida, and staphylococcus. Additionally, ginger has many anti-inflammatory effects and antioxidants, and can even lower stress levels.
Lastly, black tea also contains antioxidants, and who doesn't love a cup of iced tea in the morning anyway?
Berry Hibiscus Black Tea Refresher Recipe:
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 4 tbsp chopped strawberries
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp dried hibiscus petals
- 1 tsp mint leaves
- ¼ cup blueberries
- ¼ tsp Waka instant black tea
- 22 0z water
1. Mix the black tea powder into 10 oz of water. Once fully dissolved, pour the tea into an ice cube tray, and distribute the mint leaves and blueberries in each ice cube.
2. While the ice cubes are freezing, combine 12 oz of water (1 ½ cups), honey, lemon juice, minced ginger, strawberries, and dried hibiscus petals into a pot. Cover the pot, and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes, until everything is fully infused and dissolved.
3. Once the mixture is done simmering, filter out the liquid, and refrigerate until cool.
4. Once cool, combine the tea ice cubes and hibiscus drink in a large cup or jug. Stir, watch as the ice cubes melt and the blueberries disperse, and enjoy!