Iced Caramel Macchiato Using Instant Coffee Recipe
With the weather getting warmer, treat yourself to an iced Macchiato to cool down.
Make it faster with iced instant coffee with cream and sugar, and spice it up with caramel!
What is a Macchiato
The word “macchiato” mean “marked” or “stained”. This means that this drink is mostly made up of one element and with a splash or “stain” of another ingredient. The traditional Macchiato drink can be described as in between an espresso and cappuccino. This is because it is not as strong as an espresso, but stronger than a cappuccino.
There are two types of macchiatos: Cafe macchiato and latte macchiato. The cafe macchiato can also be called espresso macchiato. It is made with an espresso base and stained with milk. On the other hand, the latte macchiato is made with a milk or milk foam base and stained with espresso.
The caramel macchiato is not a standard Italian Macchiato, but became very popular in the United States. Compared to a regular macchiato, it is a lot sweeter in taste. It is made with a latte macchiato base and added flavorings. The name referred to it by coffee shops is also misleading because it mostly contains vanilla syrup flavoring with the caramel only drizzled on top. The caramel is the most visible when looking at the drink and hence why the name.
Iced Caramel Macchiato with Instant Coffee Recipe
The iced caramel Macchiato version we will be making today is sweetened with a caramel-base and made with Waka Coffee’s premium instant coffee.
- Ice cubes
- Caramel syrup
- ½ cup milk (your choice if dairy or dairy-free)
- ⅓ cup of water
- 2-3 tsp. Waka Coffee’s quality instant coffee
- Prepare your instant coffee by mixing ⅓ cup of room temperature cooled down water from the kettle with 2-3 teaspoons of Waka Coffee’s instant coffee (or you can make your instant coffee with cold water if you’d like).
- In a separate cup, add caramel syrup (amount depends on your taste preference).
- Add in your ice cubes (about 5 medium size cubes).
- Then add in a ½ cup of your milk of choice (for this recipe we chose to use almond milk).
- Add in the ⅓ cup of instant coffee that you made in step one.
- Mix thoroughly, drizzle more caramel on top and add cream if wanted. Enjoy!
How To Choose The Best Instant Coffee
With a variety of instant coffee brands and options, how do you pick one that’s is the best quality? As discussed in a previous blog, instant coffee can be made with either Robusta, Arabia, or a mix of those two beans. Additionally, instant coffee crystals can be made using the freeze drying process or the spray drying process. Robusta beans tend to have a harsh and bitter taste and the spray drying process can create a burnt, bitter taste and does not preserve the true flavor of the coffee.
As a result, the best instant coffee you can choose to drink would be one made of 100% Arabica beans and made using the freeze drying process. Waka Coffee’s instant coffee fits both those requirements! With its superior instant coffee quality, it is a great choice for all your instant coffee recipes and needs!